Welcome to my new Blog!

| Wednesday, 20 February 2013 | |

I have had an interest in Steampunk, or Victorian Science Fiction as it used to be called, for many years. If fact i sculpted a range of VSF figures for Scheltrum Miniatures around 15 years ago (Steampunk hadn’t even been heard of within the gaming hobby at that time).

3marinersmachinegun

mariner3mariner7sargeant

Now, I must add, I was a fairly inexperienced sculptor when I sculpted these, and also Scheltrum wanted the figures designed as multipart mix and match designs with separate legs, consequently, by modern standards, they probably don’t stand up to too close an inspection!

prussian1DSCN1307

prussian2prussian4

Still, Scheltrum Miniatures were the first company that i am aware of to produce a reasonably extensive VSF/Steampunk range, along with vehicles and buildings. They even produced a set of rules, Ironclad Empires which I edited and helped playtest and demo at a couple of wargames shows. Unfortunately the rules never received an official release…

fullrangeamoleselenites

The buildings and vehicles were designed by Sholto Humphries, the proprietor of Scheltrum Miniatures. I sculpted all the figures in this article.

Anyway, moving on to the aims of the blog. For many years there was real scarcity in decent Steampunk figures. You would get the occasional miniature turn up here and there, a few companies release small ranges, but as a genre I felt it was very poorly served. Very often gamers had to resort to converting figures from other historical ranges (“punking them up”) . Whether that be Colonial British, Darkest Africa or possibly American West these were all pressganged into use as Steampunk…

There have been several ranges produced at smaller scales, 15mm being popular with gamers playing Space 1889, and 1/1200 scale for games like Aeronef!

So why now? Well I think there is a simple answer to that. Just look around and you will see that some of the bigger companies are producing extensive ranges of figures. Spartan Games initially released Dystopian Wars and have now gone 28mm with Dystopian Legions, Micro Arts Studio in Poland have a growing range for the Skirmish game Wolsung, North Star Military Figures are launching their range of figures to accompany Osprey Publishing’s new Steampunk rules, In Her Majesty’s Name. There are also ranges from Infamy Miniatures, Lead Adventure and at 54mm Smart Max has it’s wonderful Smog range. Last but not least we have the Kickstarter campaign from West Wind Productions to expand their Empire of The Dead game  with 70+ new figures…

I am sure that other companies are also producing there own ranges.

I will occasionally review rules sets and anything else that I feel would be of interest to Steampunk gamers. This may also include figures that are not strictly Steampunk/VSF, but which have potential for use within the genre.

Finally, if anyone would like to contribute articles or photos to the blog please drop me a line and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Any companies that would like me to review their figures of rules are also welcome to get in touch! You can email me at (ironmammoth AT gmail DOT com)

Thanks

David

2 comments:

IanKH Says:
12 March 2013 at 18:55

Hello David, I thought I'd go for some shameless advertising and point you towards www.fiendishfabrications.com.au where's you'll find a whole bunch of steampunk/VSF miniatures.

Cheers,
IanKH

David Drage Says:
12 March 2013 at 23:29

Ian,

That's fine. I will review some of your minis in due course!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...